Marco O. Bertelli
Address private - Via Di Rusciano, 3 - 50126 Firenze, Italy
private practice (MAPPsi) - Lungarno Cristoforo Colombo 28/A - 50136 Firenze, Italy
research centre (CREA) - Via del Sansovino, 176 - 50142, Firenze, Italy
Telephone +39 0557392880 (CREA) Personal Mobile: +39 3389894682
Fax +39 0557392879 (ufficio)
E-mail private -
research centre -
Date of birth 29/08/66
Professional field medicine and surgery; specialist in psychiatry
Research and Professional Experience Current activities
Research and scientific director of CREA (AMG Centre for Research and Evolution), Firenze (Italy).
Private practitioner in psychiatry and psychotherapy, director of M.A.P.Psi (Medics Associated for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy), Firenze (Italy).
Consultant psychiatrist on site to several service providers for people with intellectual disability and mental health problems.
Teacher of psychiatry of intellectual disability in post-graduate courses of the Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences of the University of Florence.
Technical consultant to the Etrurian regional ecclesiastical court.
Adjunct professor at the University of Florence, Florence (Italy).
Trainer in local, national and international training programs (Regione Toscana, University of Udine, City of Firenze, City of Scandicci, Province of Arezzo, AUSL of Firenze, AUSL of Bologna, ASL 14 of Domodossola, AS of Autonomous Province of Bolzano, AS of Bari, Cooperative Idea Prisma of Rome, Opera Don Guanella of Rome, Istituto dei Padri Trinitari of Venosa, Istituto di Riabilitazione Santo Stefano of Macerata, Don Uva Rehabilitation Centre of Potenza, Istituti Polesani of Rovigo, Papa Paolo XI Foundation of Pescara, Italian Society for the study of Mental Retardation, European Association for Mental Health in Intellectual Disability, European Lifelong Learning program).
Consultant for pharmaceutical industries (Farmades, Novartis, Janssen), conducting activities of research and scientific publication. CRP field for Eli Lilly Italia, in charge for scientific presentations in peer-to-peer meetings in Italy and abroad.
Researcher for the University of Florence.
Scientific consultant for IRCCS San Raffaele, Rome (Italy).
Emergency clinical psychiatrist at the mental health centre ‘Villa dei Pini’, Florence (Italy).
Scientific consultant for the Anti Stress centre 'Villa Aurea', Cortona (Italy).
Research director or supervisor in European programs [Body Education and Sport Targeted at disabled (BEST), Teletraining, Research and Information Around Dual Diagnosis (TRIADD), TRansfer of INNOvation on Dual Diagnosis (TRINNODD), Recommendations on the topic of “welfare” for vocational training of support staff working with people with disabilities (Leonardo da Vinci BENE), Developing Training Modules for Staff on Aging and Disability Issues (AGID)].
Consultant for the World Health Organisation (Classification of Intellectual Disabilities in ICD-11)
Publications 4 books, 10 book chapters, 58 articles in scientific journals, 173 abstracts in congress proceedings.
Responsibilities in Scientific Organisations Current
Chair of the World Psychiatric Association - Section Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability (WPA-SPID).
President elect of the European Association for Mental Health in Intellectual Disability (MH-ID).
Secretary of the Italian Association for the study of Mental Retardation (SIRM).
President elect of the Italian Association for the Study of Quality of Life (AISQUV).
Co-chair of the World Psychiatric Association - Section Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability (WPA-SPID).
Executive Board member of the World Psychiatric Association Mental Retardation Section (WPA-MR), in charge of web site and newsletter.
Co-chair of the Italian Society for the study of Mental Retardation (SIRM).
Executive Board member of the Italian Society for the study of Mental Retardation (SIRM), in charge of external relations, teaching and web site.
Member founder and secretary of the Italian Association for the Study of Quality of Life (AISQUV)
Honors and awards
Education 2005 - winner of ASP (Azienda Servizi alla Persona di Pavia) award (best new-research paper)
2011 - World Psychiatric Association Honorary Membership for excellence in service.
Certificate of Secondary school specialising in humanities.
First Certificate in English (University of Cambridge).
Degree in medicine (with full marks and honours) at the University of Florence, graduation experimental thesis entitled 'a new model of rehabilitation for severe mentally handicapped adults’;
practicing diploma (full marks) at the University of Florence.
1995 - training for reserve medical officer at the Italian Military Sanitary School (Florence);
April 1995 - April 1996 - military service as reserve medical second lieutenant, in capacity as manager of the sanitary service at the Geographic Military Institute of Florence.
1999 - specialization in psychiatry and psychotherapy (full marks and honour) at the University of Florence, presenter of a post-graduation experimental thesis entitled ‘the relationship between attention and intentionality in schizophrenia’.
1998 - European certificate on anxiety and mood disorders at University of Limburg, Maastricht, the Netherlands - Two years training (June 30 -July 4 1997, Maastricht, the Netherlands; October 5-10, 1998, Fontevraud, France).
2002 - fellow at the XII WPA (World Psychiatric Association) World Congress of Psychiatry, Yokohama, Japan
2005 - fellow at the XIII WPA (World Psychiatric Association) World Congress of Psychiatry, El Cairo, Egypt.
Personal skills and competences
Social skills and competences - good team spirit;
good adaptation to multicultural environments;
good communication skills.
Organisational skills and competences - manager of a firm of mental health professionals (currently 4 psychiatrists, 1 neurologist and 4 psychologists) in private practice;
scientific director of a research and clinical centre including 15 professionals;
organiser of two national congresses;
member of the organising and scientific committees of several international congresses;
scientific and research responsible in many national and international projects.
Computer skills and competences - good command of Microsoft Office™ tools (Word™, Excel™ and PowerPoint™)and OpenOffice;
good command of SPSS™
intermediate knowledge of graphic design applications (Adobe PhotoShop™ and GIMP).
Selected publications (last 5 years)
- Stanghellini G., Bertelli M. Assessing the social behavior of unipolar depressives: the criteria for Typus melancholicus. Psychopathology, 2006; 39(4):179-86.
- La Malfa G.P., Lassi S., Bertelli M., Castellani A. Reviewing the use of antipsychotic drugs in people with intellectual disability. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 2006; 21: 73-89.
- Bertelli M., Brown I. Quality of life for people with intellectual disability. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 2006; 19:508-513.
- Stanghellini G., Bertelli M., Raballo A. Typus melancholicus: personality structure and the characteristics of major unipolar depressive episode. Journal of Affective Disorders, 2006; 93(1-3):159-67.
- La Malfa G., Lassi S., Salvini S., Giganti C., Bertelli M., Albertini G. The relationship between autism and psychiatric disorders in Intellectually Disabled Adults. Research in autism spectrum disorders, 2007; 1 (3): 218-228.
- La Malfa G., Lassi S., Bertelli M., Pallanti S., Albertini G. Detecting attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults with intellectual disability: the use of Conners' Adult ADHD Rating Scales (CAARS). Research in Developmental Disabilities, 2008; 29-2: 158-164.
- Salvador-Carulla L., Bertelli M. 'Mental retardation' or 'intellectual disability': time for a conceptual change. Psychopathology, 2008;41(1):10-6.
- Deb S., Kwok H., Bertelli M., Salvador-Carulla L., Bradley E., Torr J., Barnhill J. International guide to prescribing psychotropic medication for the management of problem behaviours in adults with intellectual disabilities. World Psychiatry, 2009; 8: 181-186.
- La Malfa G., Lassi S., Bertelli M., Albertini G., Dosen A. Emotional development and adaptive abilities in adults with intellectual disability. A correlation study between the Scheme of Appraisal of Emotional Development (SAED) and Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scale (VABS). Research in Developmental Disabilities, 2009; 30(6): 1406-12.
- Bertelli M., Scuticchio D., Ferrandi A., Ciavatta C., La Malfa G., Mango F., Porcelli C., Monchieri S. Prevalence of psychopathological features in people with intellectual disability: a multicentric study with the new instrument SPAID-G. Italian Journal of Psychopathology, 2010; 16-1: 53-63.
- Bertelli M.O., Ceccotto R., Farnetani E. Living arrangement for intellectual disability: evidences, principles for development, and implications for practice. Italian Journal of Psychiatry, 2010; 29(3): 106-109.
- Amore M., Bertelli M., Villani D., Tamborini S. & Rossi M. Olanzapine vs. risperidone in treating aggressive behaviours in adults with intellectual disability: a single blind study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 2011, 55(2): 210-218.
- Bertelli M., Piva Merli M., Bianco A., Lassi S., La Malfa G., Placidi G.F. e Brown I. BAtteria di Strumenti per l'Indagine della Qualità di Vita (BASIQ): validation of the Italian adaptation of the Quality of Life Instrument Package (QoL-IP). Italian Journal of Psychopathology, 2011; 17(2): 205-212.
- Galli Carminati G., Lehotkay R., Bertelli M., Bianco A., Castellani A. A disfunction of the process of pain expression as a possibile cause of problem behaviours in the person with autism. Italian Journal of Psychopathology, 2011; 17(2): 193-197.
- Salvador-Carulla L., Reed GM., Vaez-Azizi LM., Cooper SA., Martinez-Leal R., Bertelli M., Adnams C., Cooray S., Deb S., Akoury-Dirani L., Girimaji SC., Katz G., Kwok H., Luckasson R., Simeonsson R., Walsh C., Munir K., Saxena S. Intellectual developmental disorders: towards a new name, definition and framework for "mental retardation/intellectual disability" in ICD-11. World Psychiatry, 2011; 10(3): 175-80.
- Bertelli M., Bianco A., Rossi M., Scuticchio D., Brown I. Relationship between individual quality of life and family quality of life for people with intellectual disability living in Italy. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 2011 Dec;55(12):1136-50.
- Bertelli M., Scuticchio D., Ferrandi A., Lassi S., Mango F., Ciavatta C., Porcelli C., Bianco A., Monchieri S. Reliability and validity of the SPAID-G checklist for detecting psychiatric disorders in adults with intellectual disability. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 2012; 33(2): 382-90.
- Bertelli M., Piva Merli M., Rossi M., Lassi S., Bianco A., and Colangelo J. Quality of life in pharmacological intervention on autism spectrum disorders. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disability, in press.
- Zappella M. and Bertelli M. Guidelines of the Italian national institute of health on 'the treatment of autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents': limits and implications. Italian Journal of Psychopathology, in press.
- Bertelli M., Salvador-Carulla L., Lassi S., Zappella M., Ceccotto R., Palterer D., de Groef J., Benni L., and Rossi Prodi P. Quality of life and living arrangements for people with intellectual disability. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disability, in press.